Thursday, January 29, 2015

Q&A with digital detours...


 A little about me and my creations:
I began to discover the wonderful world of photography in 2007.   I feel like the passion had been silently building for quite some time before that, I just wasn’t sure what to do with it until I picked up a cute new point & shoot camera and stumbled upon an old bridge that caught my eye.

Just as my name suggests, my digital journey has detoured into some other fun directions since then.  Not only do I provide standard photo sessions, but I also provide graphic design services as well.  I am also a volunteer photographer for Operation: Love ReUnited.

Where did my business name come from?
While looking for inspiration and things to photograph, I found myself out wandering the streets of Tulsa.  And as any native Tulsan knows, our streets are ALWAYS filled with detours, thanks to the many construction zones that pop up anywhere and everywhere.  It just seemed that digital detours photography was all too appropriate for an identity.  That couldn’t be more true, now that I have ventured into the world of graphic design, which often supplements my sessions.

What do I love about my products?
I absolutely love being able to offer a variety of services for my clients.  Whether they are looking for photos, canvases, prints, greeting cards, custom design services, or just a fun new Facebook timeline with their images, I have just what they need!

What sets my creations apart from others?
In spite of not feeling like patience is my biggest virtues, I seem to get lots of “thank you for being so patient with my kids!” compliments more often than anything.  I absolutely love the little people and I know that it takes a few minutes for them to open up with me at the beginning of our session.  I go with the flow and just wait to capture them when they least expect it.  Those “lifestyle shots” often wind up being my client’s favorite images from their time with me because of that. 

That whole patience thing creeps into my graphic design work also.  It’s hard to see the vision in someone else’s head when they are looking for a logo for their new business or when they are trying to convey just what that Christmas card should look like before it goes to the print lab.  I make sure to take time to listen to what they say without being pushy so that they are over the moon with their service from me.

Where do I find inspiration?
So many places!  To name a few, any place that has fantastic light for my portrait sessions.  I recently photographed a family on the side of the road, close to my house because I have been dying to capture the beautiful tall grass in the afternoon sun.  This is one of my favorite sessions to date.
For graphic designs, my clients constantly amaze me with their brilliant ideas.  I love hearing a rough draft of their vision and watching it evolve from their input.

What craft would I like to learn more about?

Thanks to the fabulous world of Pinterest, I am always stumbling across so many cool things that I could easily incorporate into my photo sessions or designs.  I don’t know that I could narrow down many of them without sharing at least 300 different Pins :D

Every day is special and should be treated as a holiday! That being said, which holiday do I wish were every day and why?
I think birthdays are about as special as any day can get!  Who doesn’t love a day dedicated just to them?  Ok, well maybe the first handful of them are pretty great.  The numbers associated with them later on can be kind of questionable though :D

If I could create my own holiday, what would it be and why?
I think Military Homecoming days are up there with birthdays.  They are so very bittersweet.  As an OpLove photographer and Army wife that's has endured deployment myself, I know how special these days are.  This is one of the very reasons I decided to give back to our military and their families by volunteering my services to those undergoing deployment.  Our brave soldiers are missing all of those other holidays so they deserve one of their own when they come home to their loved ones.

How would I describe my work in three words?
Translucent, Emotional, Natural

Links:
Twitter  

No comments: